“Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
and resign yourself to the influence of the earth.”
― Henry David Thoreau
Great Events Go Green
We all know that taking steps to promote sustainability is important in our daily routines. The same is true for special events and occasions throughout our personal and professional lives. Green events are more important than ever and easier to execute than you might think. With focus on even a few eco-friendly efforts, you can make a positive difference and limit your environmental impact. We’ve put together some ideas that will help make all your gatherings a little easier on the earth.
Meetings, Parties, Picnics & Other Occasions
The same basic principles apply to planning eco-friendly events of nearly all types and sizes. When your gathering is relatively small, some steps you can take that are especially effective include:
- Online invitations such as those you will find on Paperless Post, Evite, Punchbowl and other such websites. This may seem a bit casual but it’s perfectly acceptable etiquette and easy too. Besides reducing the volume of paper products used, it can also save on costs.
- Label cups, mugs, wineglasses, etc. so guests are encouraged to limit their waste throughout your event.
- Prepare for surplus food & drink by having storage/take-home containers at the ready. (preferably reusable or compostable)
Conferences, Special Events, Galas, Ceremonies & More
When the guest list is long, organize and plan your green event using some or all of these suggestions:
- Select a venue that is easy to access via public transportation. You can also help coordinate car-pooling and/or shuttle service to and from the event
- Set up recycling stations labeled for food waste and other compostable/recyclable trash.
- Work with your caterer to create menus using locally sourced, sustainable ingredients. Orange County and Los Angeles Caterer, Above All Catering & Events, customizes such offerings for each event, assigning a catering/event specialist to collaborate with their clients and talented Chefs to create exceptional seasonal food experiences.
Weddings and Receptions
There’s no better time to reflect your eco-friendly values and signature style than at your wedding. Here’s a few fresh ideas:
- Create a wedding website + add a unique hashtag to start collecting memories from social media. Your friends and family will love sharing this journey with you. It’s also a great way to provide maps, directions, and other pertinent information as your big day draws near. Check out sites easy to set up – like these at The Knot, Wedding Wire, and Riley & Grey.
- Select a venue that requires little additional design and decor items. Orange County Venues is a good place to start your search.
- Favors like edibles & small potted plants do double-duty as place card holders and decor elements. Guests adore these gifts and unlike other incidentals, they will not go to waste!
Blog Post Written by: Jodie Fry